18.11.11

Dimmi cosa leggi...

Sta per uscire un libro intrigante di Leah Price, docente di letteratura inglese a Harvard, Unpacking My Library: Writers and Their Books (Yale UP). "Because books can be owned without being read and read without being owned, bookshelves reveal at once our most private selves and our most public personas. They can serve as a utilitarian tool or a theatrical prop. For a coffee-table book of my own, I recently toured a dozen writers’ book collections. Gazing at the shelves of a novelist whose writings lie dog-eared on my own bookcase, I felt as lucky as a restaurantgoer granted a peek at the chef’s refrigerator. The Duke of Devonshire’s library, in contrast, with its trompe l’oeil bookshelves, bore more resemblance to a Viking range littered with takeout cartons". nyt.

Nessun commento:

Posta un commento