9.2.11

Banville a Brown

Ieri John Banville ha letto un brano del libro che sta scrivendo a Brown University. Alex Beam del Boston Globe l'ha intervistato.
Q. What will you be reading at Brown?

A. I’ll be reading from a John Banville book that I've been working on for four years, not a Benjamin Black. It's part of a novel about a retired stage actor who is recalling an affair he had when he was 15, with the 35 year-old mother of his best friend, in a small town in Ireland. Not a very frequent occurrence, I would think. The passage describes his first seduction, and his appearance at confession afterward. It's quite funny and moving.

Q. How do Black and Banville divide their time?
A. I've got a schedule now. I do a Benjamin Black in the spring and early summer. I hate summer so this is a wonderful excuse to sit in my room and pound away at a crime book. I write those quickly on the computer, in three to four months. What I want from Benjamin Black is spontaneity; John Banville writes in longhand with a fountain pen. I can't do them both at the same time. Banville was never much interested in character, dialogue, and plot, and Black is entirely character and dialogue and plot. With the crime novels, it's delightful to have protagonists I can revisit in book after book. It's like having a fictitious family. bg.



Due nuovi dizionari dello slang: Jonathon Green, Green's Dictionary of Slang. Three volumes (Chambers); e John Simpson, The First English Dictionary of Slang (Oxford). TLS.

Nessun commento:

Posta un commento